Welcome!

I'm a wife to a wonderful man, a mommy to three beautiful children, and a theatre teacher at a school I love. I'm addicted to subscription boxes and makeup, an avid book reader, and a huge fan of music. My life is very busy and very blessed!

Friday, October 17, 2014

October Birchbox

I've been anticipating my October Birchbox ever since I decided to do the add ons (more information about the add ons below). My past few boxes have been taking longer than normal to get to me (last month it was even lost for about a week). Not sure what's up with that, but it did arrive this week! 

I love the fact that I got to review 7 different products, which means $7 to spend in the Birchbox store. That’s a great deal!

Here's what I received in my box and what I thought about each product: 

*Ellovi Vanilla Butter-Not a big fan of this. It is supposed to smell like vanilla but it smells more like the oils in it to me. And speaking of oil, it is greasy on my skin. I might use it for problem areas like my heels during the winter,  but I definitely won't use it on my hands or arms. I just didn't like the texture of this and wouldn't buy the full size product. 

*Lord & Berry Paillettes Eye Pencil-This was the item I got to choose for this month's box. I LOVE glitter eye liner and couldn't wait to try this out. I was so disappointed with this eye pencil! There was absolutely no glitter included any of the times I used it. I tried it with different colors and brands of eye shadow, but still nothing. It needs to be a creamier formula for this to be more effective. It was dry and hard to put on and I tried sharpening it a few times thinking that might help. Also, the black color faded super fast. I'm talking within the hour of me applying it! I ended up putting a liquid liner over it. This item is getting tossed! 

*Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle-I love leave in conditioners. I like the fact that this is a spray in formula-easier application than the ones I usually use. However, I think there was a problem with the bottle. Myself and several reviewers all had trouble getting the product out. It did leave my hair nice and soft but didn't hold the waves in my hair as much as other products I've used. I'll have to give this one a few more tries before I make my final verdict. 

*Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips-I was super curious to try this product out. Nipple cream on your lips? It kinda makes sense if you think about it. I love how soft it makes my lips and I love that it enhances my natural lip color. The texture is weird at first (a little sticky and greasy) but after I got used to it I love it because it makes my lips so moisturized. This was a hit for me!   

*Vasanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator-I didn't read the label too closely before applying this exfoliator so I was a bit surprised by the microderm crystals, but ended up really liking this product. It made my face feel soft and clean without drying my face out, which is always a concern of mine with products like this. I have sensitive skin and my face didn't break out after using this. Great addition to this box! 

*Oribe Magnificent Shampoo and Conditioner-These were "freebies" that Birchbox threw in as an extra bonus. If this had been one of my normal samples I wouldn't have been pleased because of how small they are. I really like the Oribe hair spray and use it occasionally. This is advertised as a volumizing shampoo and conditioner but I honestly couldn't tell. The shampoo didn't leave my hair feeling clean and I needed more conditioner in the sample size than what it offered. I did like the smell of these products. 

Each month Birchbox gives you the opportunity to add items to your box for an additional cost. The items are usually cheaper from Birchbox than buying  from a retailer, plus you get Birchbox points to use in the store. This month they were giving double points if you purchased two or more items so I decided to splurge and purchase both of the items for sale. I purchased: 

*Bella J Roseberry Candle-This candle has a light berry scent to it. It’s perfect for my nightstand in the bedroom but wouldn’t have much scent power in a large room. What’s cool about this candle is that at the bottom of it is a charm or jewelry piece valued at $25 to $10,000! I’ve burned mine for about 5 hours now (it says you can get 60+hours) and I can already see the pouch. I am soooo tempted to get it out and see what it is but Justin told me that would ruin the surprise, which is the main reason I purchased it! So he told me I have to wait until Halloween.  



*Loren Hope Lilac Mini Alex Cuff-As soon as I saw the purple color for this bracelet I knew I had to have it! I wear purple ALL THE TIME so this will go great with many different outfits. My only problem is that it's a little on the small side. I wish they had a picture of somebody wearing it so I could have had a better idea of the size of it before I purchased it. Here’s a picture of me wearing it-by the way, I could never be a hand model! I can’t ever seem to take a good picture of my hands. 




Finally, Birchbox was recently doing a promotion where if you are on the month to month plan for getting boxes and upgraded to a year's subscription, not only did they give you two boxes for free, but they sent out a mystery sample pack AND this Cynthia Rowley bag that included this eyeshadow color palette and a liquid liner. I'm looking forward to trying all these shades out! There are actually 5 shadows but the far left one is super dark. 



Overall I enjoyed my box and the nice add ons. A couple of the items I could have done without but I also discovered some new favorites! What did you think about October’s box? If you are thinking about joining Birchbox, be sure to use my referral link

No comments:

Post a Comment